Monday, July 14, 2014

The Saga of Steve and Joey-Part 29

Hello everyone and Happy Monday! It is time for another part in The Saga of Steve and Joey. This part is a continuation of Part 28. If you didn't read it or want to refresh your memory, you can catch up on Part 28 (and every other part) right here. Enjoy!

Part 29
Steve
I pull the SUV in front of a brick house on the other side of town. It’s a nice looking house with a small, well-maintained lawn in the front. There are two levels to the house with a garage attached to the side.
“Are we here,” Aiden calls from the backseat.
I look over at Joey with a smile. He’s asked if we were there yet three times on the way here. Normally I would find it a little annoying, but Aiden’s practically vibrating with excitement. That makes it hard to be angry.
Joey just smiles back and turns around to look at Aiden.
“Yes, baby. We’re here. Just give me a minute and I’ll get you out of your car seat.”
“I can do it,” Aiden says fiercely.
I park the car as I hear Aiden unclicking the latches of his car seat. Joey gets out of his seat and opens the back door to help Aiden out. I walk around to them and together we walk up to the front door.
We’re not even halfway up the walk when the front door of the house opens. There is a little boy Aiden’s age standing behind the screen door jumping up and down. He is a cute child, with black hair that can’t seem to be tamed and a pair of black glasses on his face. Aiden breaks free of Joey’s grip and runs for the door. Aiden doesn’t even try to open the screen, just starts talking to his friend through the door.
But as Joey and I approach the door we can hear that not everyone is as happy as the two small boys.
“Gordon! What did I tell you about opening the door by yourself?”
The two boys look up at the middle-aged woman. She is dressed in jeans and a T-shirt, her hair pulled back into a loose ponytail. She has delicate features that I hear are very attractive on a woman. Not that I would know personally.
“Hi,” Joey says, walking up to join Aiden on the stoop.
The woman looks up at us and gives us a tired smile. “Hi. You must be Aiden’s parents. Come on in.”
Joey grips my hand a little tighter as I pull Aiden away from the screen so she can open the door for us. And I know why. Joey had spoken to Gordy’s mom on the phone last week to set this up. He was careful to make sure she knew Aiden had two fathers, but she didn’t seem to have a problem with it. I had been a little afraid that Aiden would lose his first friend because of that, but it didn’t seem to be an issue.
Once we are inside, Gordy grabs Aiden’s hand and together they go off. I’m not sure where but I think I hear something about Gordy showing Aiden his bedroom.
“Sorry about that,” Gordy’s mom says. “Gordy has been so excited for Aiden to come visit.”
“It’s okay. Aiden has been bouncing off the walls too,” I say. “I’m Steve by the way. And you already talked to Joey.
“Of course,” she says, shaking both of our hands. “I’m Amy. Come on in.”
We walk through the living room to the kitchen. It is a very nice house with matching furniture and brightly painted walls. But despite the décor, it’s easy to see a child lives there with all of the toys around the house.
Amy offers us a seat at the breakfast bar and something to drink. We accept and settle in to chat with her.
“I’m so glad you could bring Aiden up,” Amy says, setting two glasses of iced tea on the counter. “Gordy has not stopped talking about Aiden since they met.”
I chuckle. “Him too, huh? Because I don’t think Aiden has talked about anything else in the last week.”
Amy laughs for a minute before turning to us with all seriousness. “But you know, as annoying as it has been at times, I have to admit I’m happy he found someone. He never really connected to any of his peers before. He’s as happy as I’ve ever seen him with another child.”
“Aiden is the same way,” Joey says. “I was actually starting to get worried about him.”
“Well,” Amy says with a smile. “I’m glad they found each other.”
I couldn’t have said it better myself. We stay and talk to Amy for a little while, sipping on our drinks. Eventually, the conversation starts to die and we all drift in the direction of Gordy’s room to check on the boys. The two are sitting on the floor playing Transformers, completely oblivious to us watching them.
“If you have plans, you can go,” Amy says. “Not that I’m kicking you out. You can stay if you want.”
“No,” I say. “Since Aiden is settled, we’ll go.”
The three of us exchange information and Joey and I leave, ready to return in a few hours.
“Well, that went well,” I say once we’re in the SUV.
“Yeah. I’m glad Aiden found a friend.”
“Me too, babe. Me too.”


And there’s Part 29! Check back next week for Part 30! Until then, have a great week everyone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment