Monday, August 5, 2013

Weekly Prompt-Sunsets

Here is this week's free read. You can check out the original post and the responses here.



Perfection Under the Setting Sun



“So when are you going to tell me what you are planning?”

“Never.”

I turned and stared at my new husband. Lucas is dressed in a perfectly tailored black suit that he got specifically for our honeymoon. I had not seen it before now, but it was beautiful. His blonde hair was perfectly styled and his baby blue eyes were smiling at me. Most days I still have a hard time believing that this gorgeous hunk with bulging muscles and a perfect physique was actually interested in me. I was just a scrawny nobody with stringy brown hair and coke-bottle glasses. What had I ever done to attract a former professional model? I still had no idea, but here he was. Mine forever.

Now we were on our honeymoon after marrying in our home state of California. It was a long road to get here, but now I couldn’t be happier. We had been vacationing in an all-inclusive resort in Jamaica for the last four days. We had three left before we had to go home and already I knew that I never wanted to leave. It had been a perfect trip so far. We had done a couple of activities around the resort, water sports and the like, but mostly we just stayed inside. Lucas ordered us a room with a private pool and a butler who brought us food and other essentials. I lost track of the number of times we had sex in the last four days, but that did not make it any less magical.

“Hey,” Lucas said, coming up behind me and putting his arms around my waist. “What are you thinking about, Hal?”

“The last four days.”

“It has been a great vacation so far, hasn’t it?”

“The best,” I said turning to give him a kiss.

Lucas accepted the kiss and returned it in earnest. Our making out was progressing towards the point of no return when Lucas suddenly pulled back.

“Come on,” Lucas said breathlessly.

“What,” I ask. “I thought that we were going to…”

“As much as I would love to take you right now, I have plans for you. Now let’s go.”

Lucas held his hand out to me, but I didn’t take it. Instead, I turned back towards the mirror to make sure that my suit looked okay.

“You look perfect,” Lucas said as he kissed my cheek.

I gave my husband a dubious look. I have never thought that I looked all that good, no matter what I was wearing. Call it self-esteem issues. But how could I not having a model as a husband? He was so amazing and I was not.

“Come on,” Lucas said, taking my hand and dragging me away from the mirror.

My husband led me out of our room and down the hall. I thought about trying to ask where we were going, but I knew better. Lucas never said anything before he was ready. Together we walked across the complex hand-in-hand. There were a few kisses and soft words exchanged, but nothing that would lead us into X-rated territory. There would be plenty of time for that later.

Eventually, we ended up at one of the restaurants inside the main building. The maitre-d’ was very professional as he found our reservation and led us to the back of the restaurant. I figured that Lucas had gotten us a private table. So I was shocked when we were led out of the restaurant all together.

Lucas and I were taken down a stone pathway from the hustle of the restaurant, towards a narrow strip of the resort’s private beach. There were candles lighting the way as the natural light stared to fade. It was quite lovely, but I was still very confused. And very hungry.

I was going to ask what was going on when the maitre d’ turned the corner. There was a stone platform that sat on the very edge of the beach. But that was not what took my breath away. The way that the platform was situated allowed for a perfect view of the beach. I could see the yellow sand and the clear blue water from where I was standing. And hovering above it all was the beginning of a beautiful sunset.

And if the view was not enough, right in the middle of the platform was a table for two, a white tablecloth gently waving in the night air. The table was beautifully decorated with white candlesticks and a small bouquet of flowers.

I turned to see the maitre d’ gone and my husband standing there with a single red rose and a stunning smile.

“Welcome to your special dinner, baby.”

“You did all of this for me?”

“Of course I did. I know that you do not think so, but you are deserving of this and so much more. You are the most amazing man that I have ever met and I couldn’t be happier to have you in my life. One day, I hope that you will see you as I see you. But in the meantime, I will just give you everything.”

Without another thought, I pull my man into my arms and give him a deep passionate kiss. Lucas kisses me back before taking my hand and leading me to the far edge of the platform, past our table. From the view, we have an uninterrupted view of the beauty before us. The colors in the sky are magnificent. We stand there together for a time, holding each other close.

“Thank you for this,” I said, turning into his strong chest a little more.

“You are welcome. Here’s to many more sunsets.”


I tilted my head up and gave Lucas another kiss. My husband was right. There were a lot more sunsets ahead of us. And I could not have been more thrilled. 

No comments:

Post a Comment