Monday, December 2, 2013

The Saga of Steve and Joey-Part 2

Hello everyone! I hope everyone had a great holiday last week. I know I did. But it's Monday again which means the next chapter in the saga of Steve and Joey. If you missed the first part, you can read it here. So now we will continue the story with Steve and Joey's first date. Enjoy!


Part 2
After the sparks that flew between us when we first met, I expect dinner to be a more interesting affair. But, actually, it’s quite mundane. We look over the menus, talking about the food choices and if we’re getting appetizers or not. Once we order, we make small talk, chatting about this and that. Nothing really important.
I can’t deny the man’s magnetic personality and the fact there’s clearly a lot of chemistry between us. But as dinner starts to wind down, the exhaustion I’d been keeping at bay came to the forefront, the combination of the full stomach and the long day makes my eyes burn from being forced open.
“Hey? Are you okay?”
Pushing a smile on my face, I look up at Joey. Even through the exhaustion, I can’t help but smile at his concern. Maybe this date isn’t as mundane as I thought. Maybe there really is something here. Too bad, I’m too tired to care.
“Yeah. It’s just been a really long week. Haven’t slept for awhile.”
“How long’s a while?”
“About four days since I took more than a power nap.”
Joey’s jaw drops to the floor. “What do you mean four days? How the hell are you even still up?”
“Honestly, I have no idea,” I say with as much humor as I can muster.
“Why haven’t you slept?”
“Because I’m a med student. We sign away our rights to sleep.”
“That’s awful.”
“That’s life.”
“Why don’t we skip desert and call it a night? You’re obviously falling asleep.”
I couldn’t help but feel a rush of disappointment at his words. Sure, it isn’t the most exciting date in the world, but I still there might be something between us. Something that could lead to a real relationship. But did he feel the same? Is he really worried about me or is he just trying to end this date? I’m not sure. And I really don’t feel like trying to figure it out. I’m starting to get a headache from not sleeping.
“Is that your way of getting rid of me,” I say, cringing at the harshness of my voice. I didn’t mean for it to sound that way. I just want an answer. Damn headache.
“No,” Joey says vehemently. “Of course not. I’ve enjoyed our date. Haven’t you?”
The hurt in his voice shakes me out of my own head for a minute. Maybe I wasn’t reading this wrong. Maybe he really does want to be with me.
“Of course I have,” I say as quickly as possible. “I’m sorry. I guess I just didn’t think you were in to me.”
Joey shakes his head. “Wow. You must be tired. I think you are amazing. I mean, I admit I had my doubts when Lucas set this blind date up, but you’ve proven me wrong. I mean, you’re going to be a doctor, you are seriously hot and you have an amazing personality when you’re not falling asleep. How could I not be in to you?”
I’m shocked. “Really? But all we’ve done is make small talk.”
“What do you think first dates are for?”
I just stare at him as he motions the waiter over. He quickly pays the bill, fending off any attempt for me to help pay. I really am too tired to fight him, so I just let him have his way and soon we’re walking out side by side.
“Where are you parked,” he asks as soon as we’re outside.
“I walked.”
“Do you want a ride?”
“No, it’s okay. It’s not far.”
Joey shakes his head and takes my hand. “Come on, let me drive you. I can get you to your bed faster.”
The prospect did sound pretty tempting, so I didn’t fight as he led me to a cute little Toyota. It’s painted a bright blue, which seems to suit his happy personality. I slide into the front seat, trying not to close my eyes as soon as my body sinks into the leather seat.
Joey jumps in the driver seat and starts the engine.
“So where am I going,” he asks.
Somehow I manage to stay awake long enough to give him directions and before I know it, I’m in front of my building.
“Thanks for the ride,” I say as I realize the date is over.
“Anytime.”
An awkward silence reigns over the car as I try to figure out the next step. I already know I want to see him again, but how do I go about asking?
“Gimme your phone,” Joey demands out of nowhere.
Curious, I hand it over without a fight. I watch as he flips through the screen and taps on the digital keyboard before handing it back to me.
“There. Now you have my number. Call me when you’ve had some sleep.”
Happy this isn’t going to be the end, I nod before turning and placing my hand on the door handle.
“Steve,” Joey calls right before I open the door.
“Yeah,” I ask, turning back.
I can only watch as Joey leans over and kisses me gently on the lips. “Thank you for tonight. I had a lot of fun. Call me and we’ll do it again.”
I sit there frozen for a second, my brain trying to process what the hell just happened. Finally, everything clicks. Joey likes me. He wants to go out again. Even with me almost falling asleep on him. I’m so happy I want to kiss him all over again, but I need to sleep. Kissing will come later.
“I will. Thanks again.”
Acting on impulse, I lean forward and quickly peck Joey’s lips before opening the door and heading up to the main door. Using my key, I open the door and let myself in. A huge smile creeps onto my face as soon as the door shuts behind me. Joey kissed me. He wants to go out with me again. I feel a strange happiness I haven’t felt in a long time. I would have to call Lucas and thank him later. But for right now, my bed is calling my name.

Well, there’s Part 2. I hope everyone liked it.

Next week: We move to Joey’s point of view to see what he thought of Steve and their first date. 

No comments:

Post a Comment