Monday, March 17, 2014

The Saga of Steve and Joey-Part 15

Free Read Monday! This story is set about a year and a half after Steve and Joey get married. Enjoy!

Part 15
Steve
My life is perfect. There’s no other way to describe it, I think as I drive home from work one night. Joey has been married to me for the last year and a half and it’s been the best time of my life. I don’t know where I would be without him.
Things in my career were going well too. I finally finished my residency and was now working in a joint practice with three other doctors, working as a general practitioner. It’s perfect. I only had to work five days a week for about forty hours and then I could come home and spend the rest of the time with Joey.
I pull into the driveway and cut the engine, smiling all the way. Maybe it is just a good day of work or maybe it’s just a general love of love, but I feel great heading into the house. Dropping my stuff by the door, I head into the kitchen where Joey is cooking something. I’m not sure what it is, but it smells fantastic. My smile only gets wider as I think about how lucky I am to have a husband that cooks.
“Hey, babe,” I say as I walk up behind him and wrap my arms around him. I gently kiss him on the neck before staring at the food he’s chopping up on the counter. “What’s for dinner?”
“Pork chops,” Joey says tensely before going back to cutting up some lettuce for a salad.
The second the words left his mouth I know something is wrong. Normally, Joey is relaxed and smiling, but not now. He looks really upset.
“Joey? What’s wrong?”
But Joey just shakes his head and moves away from me. I don’t know what to do. Joey is usually so open and now he’s completely shutting me out. Deciding to give him a little bit of time, I don’t say anything as I start getting ready for dinner.
The rest of the night passes as one uncomfortable blur. Something has clearly gotten to Joey, but he isn’t saying what. But the signs are all there. He shrugs me off every time I give him a gentle touch, refuses to talk about even the simplest of topics and keeps staring off into space like he’s thinking about something.
This new Joey is freaking me out a little bit. I’ve never seen him like this before and I don’t know what to do. I guess I just have to wait until he figures this out. Or at least starts talking to me again.
Finally, it gets late enough for us both to go to bed. Joey is like a zombie as he brushes his teeth and finishes the rest of his bedtime rituals. When we finally crawl into bed together, I try to take him in my arms like I do every night. After all, we sleep wrapped up together every night.
At first, Joey resists me, sliding back to the edge of the bed. I’m devastated that my husband would avoid me like that. But eventually, he slides back over and I’m able to wrap him in my arms.
“What’s wrong,” I ask again, desperate for an answer. “And don’t tell me nothing.”
Silence.
I’m about to beg him again, when I hear a soft whisper. “I’m scared.”
“Of what?”
“What you’ll say.”
“What do you mean,” I ask, genuinely confused.
“I want to tell you. But if you say no, I don’t know what I’ll do.”
“Hey,” I whisper back, before placing a soft kiss on the top of his head. “Have I ever told you no before?”
“No.”
“So tell me what’s going on?”
Joey looks up at me, fear clear in his eyes.

“I want a baby.”

And there’s Chapter 15. I know, I know. I left you guys with a cliffhanger, but I have to every once in a while. Don’t worry though. Next chapter will be up next week. See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment