Monday, June 16, 2014

The Saga of Steve and Joey-Part 25

Hello everyone! I'm back with a brand-new part of The Sage of Steve and Joey! I know it's been a while, so don't forget you can always refresh your memory on their story on the free reads page. Now just so you know, this is a special Father's Day story. I know Father's Day was yesterday, but I post on Monday so it's a day late. Hope nobody minds to much. And, with that, enjoy!


Part 25
Steve
“Happy Father’s Day!”
I start awake as Joey’s loud voice wakes me out of my deep sleep. I look up to see Joey standing over the bed with a tray balanced on one hip and a smiling Aiden on the other.
“What’s this,” I say sleepily, not understanding what was going on.
“It’s Father’s Day, silly,” Joey replies with a smile. “And we have brought you breakfast in bed.”
“Oh, have you,” I say, matching his smile with my own.
“Yep. Now take Aiden before I drop your breakfast.”
I chuckle before I sit up and lean forward to take Aiden out of Joey’s arms. Once Joey is free of Aiden he swings the tray around and gently sets it on the bed before walking around to crawl into his side of the bed.
I settle Aiden on my lap before leaning forward and lifting the lid off one of the plates. The smell of French toast and freshly cooked eggs fills my nostrils.
“Smells good, baby,” I say as I pick up one glass of orange juice and take a long sip.
“Thanks. But you know you have to share with me and Aiden.”
“Yeah, I gathered that from the two plates and the jar of baby food.”
Joey smiles and takes his own plate off the tray. “Well, Dad, eat up.”
Joey and I start to eat breakfast, taking turns feeding Aiden who was clearly more interested in our breakfast than his own.
“So what brought this on,” I asked as I take the last bite of my French toast, groaning at the warm, cinnamon flavor that bursts on my tongue.
“What do you mean,” Joey asks. He has already finished eating and is currently playing airplane with Aiden to try and get him to eat.
I rub a hand over Joey’s back and smile as Aiden opens his mouth for Joey’s flying spoon.
“I mean, why did you make breakfast in bed?”
“I told you,” Joey says, wiping Aiden’s face now that breakfast is over. “It’s Father’s Day.”
“Yeah, but so what? You’re a father too and I didn’t make you breakfast in bed.”
“True.”
“So why did you do it?”
“What? Are you complaining?”
“Me? Hey, anytime you want to make your cinnamon French toast is fine with me. And I don’t care where you serve it.”
Joey chuckles. “Nice to know I’m appreciated.”
“Well, your French toast anyway. And you still didn’t answer my question.”
“I don’t know,” Joey shrugs, moving Aiden so he’s leaning against his stomach. “I woke up early and I got up to check on Aiden. And when I went downstairs to get him a bottle, inspiration struck.”
“So no ulterior motive?”
“You’re making my breakfast in bed sound like an evil thing.”
“No. Not at all. I’m just saying I find it a little strange that you made me breakfast in bed and I haven’t done anything for you.”
“Yet. It’s still early in the morning. And we have the whole day ahead of us.”
“Yeah. But now I have to match your cinnamon French toast. I’m not sure that’s possible.”
Joey laughs. “Well, I’m sure you’ll come up with something. Besides, even if you don’t, I already have what I need for Father’s Day.”
“What’s that?”
“My family. You by my side. And our Aiden.”
I lean over and wrap a tight arm around Joey. I run my free hand over Aiden’s head lightly brushing his soft baby hair. What Joey said is true. All we need is our little family. As long as I have them, everything would be fine.
“Happy Father’s Day, Joey.”
“Happy Father’s Day.”


And there’s Part 25. I hope you liked it. Starting with the next part, we’re going to start jumping ahead. There will be a series of snapshots as Aiden grows up. See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment