Monday, February 24, 2014

The Saga of Steve and Joey-Part 12

Happy Monday everyone! I hope everyone's had a good start to the week. Here is the much anticipated wedding arch in the saga. Enjoy!
Part 12
Joey
“You look good.”
I look over and smile as I see Lucas standing in the doorway in the reflection of the mirror. He’s looking wonderful in his black suit, perfectly tailored to his trim body.
“Thanks. So do you.”
“Yeah, but no one’s going to be looking at me.”
I think about telling him that with only three other people at the ceremony, there isn’t going to be many people looking at any of us, but I don’t say anything. Instead, I just turn back to the mirror and make sure my black bow tie is straight. It is. Probably because I already straightened the thing ten times.
Lucas walks further into the room, smiling at my OCD. He reaches over to the table and picks up the single red rose bud I’m using for a boutonniere. Putting a hand on my shoulder, he turns me around to face him, which I do. He starts to attach the rose, being careful to make sure it’s straight.
“Thanks,” I say when he’s done.
“Sure. That’s what I’m here for.”
“I thought you’d be with Steve.”
Lucas shrugs. “I saw him. But he’s with his parents, so I thought I’d give them some time. Besides, you’re…”
“Alone?”
“Well, I wasn’t going to say that.”
“But it’s true,” I say, dejectedly. “Steve’s parents are here for him, but mine can’t stand the sight of me, so…”
“Hey,” Lucas says with a gentle voice that stops my voice dead in its tracks. “I know you have some problems with your parents. But they don’t matter. All that matters is that man who is going to marry you. And I promise you he loves you so much and is ready to take that step with you.”
A small smile creeps on to my face. “Really?”
“Joey, he is practically vibrating with excitement. And you know, that’s not him. But he just loves you so much.”
“I know. And I love him.”
“So what does it matter if your parents aren’t here? All that matters is that you have him.”
“I guess. And I’d rather they not be here if they’re not going to support me. I just always thought they’d be here when I got married.”
“Aww, Joey,” Lucas comforts before pulling me into a hug. I try to hold back the tears as I rest against his chest. They aren’t tears of anger, just disappointment. Disappointment that life didn’t work out the way I wanted it to. That I can’t have a better relationship with my parents because of who I am. I know it isn’t going to change and if it means forsaking Steve and my love for him, then I wouldn’t want to. But this is supposed to be a day for family. And seeing Steve with his, when I don’t have mine, makes the pain all the more real.
Despite my best efforts, I shed a few tears before pulling back and looking at Lucas. He just gives me a little smile, concern still clear in his eyes.
“Are you okay?”
“Yeah. I’m just wallowing in my own self-pity.”
“I think you’re allowed under the circumstances. But you might want to pull it together. We only have five minutes before the ceremony.”
“Shit,” I whisper, the gravity of what’s about to happen hitting me full in the chest.
“Are you okay?”
“Yeah, I think I just realized how close this is.”
“You’ll be fine.”
“But what if I forget my vows?”
“Please. Do you really think Steve is going to care?”
“But his parents already don’t like me. I don’t want to look like an idiot in front of them.”
“You’re stressing over nothing. You’ve had these things memorized for two months now. You know it better than the back of your hand. You’ll be fine.”
“I guess. I’m just nervous. You’ll be fine. Now are you ready?”
“Can you just give me a minute? I’ll be out in a minute.”
Lucas smiles at me and nods. “Sure. Just hurry up. Don’t want to be late to your own wedding.”
“I won’t.”
Lucas nods and leaves, shutting the door behind him.
Alone once again, I turn to look at myself in the mirror again. Everything seems in order. My tux still looks good, my bow tie is straight, as is the boutonniere.  My hair’s combed and I don’t have any weird stains on my face.
I let out a deep breath. This is it. I’m getting married to the man of my dreams. And in this moment, I know it doesn’t matter what his parents think of me. Or the fact that mine are absent. All that matters is that I have Steve in my life forever.
With one last smile to myself in the mirror, I turn and head for the door. It’s time to make Steve mine.


And there is Part 12! Although, I should really call it The Wedding-Part 1. There will be 3 parts to this wedding. Next week: the Ceremony! See you all then!

No comments:

Post a Comment