Monday, January 27, 2014

The Saga of Steve and Joey-Part 8

Happy Monday everyone! I hope you're all ready for the next installment of The Saga of Steve and Joey. This part is set almost four years after the last part. I hope you all enjoy it!

Part 8
Joey
I sit at my desk, staring at the picture on the screen. I don’t know how I got to this site. Sure, I’d been thinking about this for awhile. After all, Steve and I have been together for four years now. It’s only natural. Right?
“Hey, wanna get lunch?”
I jump as Lucas’s voice comes up behind me. Lucas and I had become best friends in the four years since he set me up with Steve. In addition to having lunch every day at work, we often go out at night for double dates with our partners.
However, the bond we share isn’t deep enough as I scramble to close the page I was looking at.
“Whoa, whoa. What was that?”
I sigh, knowing I’m not going to be able to hide anything from him. Especially not when he’s already seen the screen.
“Was that a site with engagement rings?!”
“Will you keep your voice down,” I hiss in horror as Lucas’s voice echoes though the whole office. Thankfully, it’s after noon so the office is mostly empty.
“No! Were those engagement rings,” he asks in an very clear, very intense voice.
“Yes, okay, yes. But I’m not doing anything.”
“But you’re thinking about it?”
“I don’t know. Maybe?”
Lucas grabs a nearby desk chair and pulls it up to me, close enough that our knees are touching.
“Ok, spill.”
“I don’t know, Lucas. I mean, we’ve been together for four years and we’re really happy. But I don’t know if I’m ready for that.”
“Have you talked to Steve about this?”
“No. And I don’t want you to either.”
“Hey, I’m not about to get involved in your personal business. I’m just trying to figure out what’s going on in that head of yours.”
I sigh as I lean forward in the chair to stare at the ground. “I love him, Luc. If the last four years have thought me anything it’s that I don’t want to lose him. His last year of med school I almost lost it. He was spending so much time away and I never got to see him. Now that he’s a resident, things are a little better, but I still have to value all of the time we have together because he works so much. Things will be better when he’s done next year, but all of the time apart has taught me that I can’t be without him.”
“Isn’t living together enough?”
I think back to the house we bought together three months ago and smile. “I mean, it’s great. I love being able to come home and know that eventually he’ll be home too. I guess lately I’ve just been thinking about more.”
“There’s nothing wrong with that. So are you going to ask him?”
“I don’t know. I’m still thinking about it. Do you think I should?”
“I think you should do whatever is right for you. But I do know that you and Steve love each other. So it’ll all work out.”
A smile comes to my face. “Yeah,” I say, just a hint of dreaminess in my voice.
“But for now, I think it’s time for lunch.”
“Okay,” I say, standing up. I quickly bookmark the page with the engagement rings and grab my coat. I may not be ready to propose today, but one day. One day I will make him mine forever.


And there’s Part 8. Be sure to check back next week when Steve gets the surprise of his life;) See you all then!

No comments:

Post a Comment